Db2 Click to Containerize Version 2 Early Access Program
Deploying an existing Db2 to OpenShift, Kubernetes, or Cloud Pak for Data usually involves some form of export and import and a lot of work! The new Db2 Shift tool moves your on-premises database directly to the Cloud - with no exporting of data!
The Db2 Click to Containerize family encompasses several tools that provide customers with the ability to quickly modernize their Db2 landscape. The Db2 Shift utility is part of the Click to Containerize family and can be used to clone a copy of Db2 into an OpenShift, Kubernetes, Cloud Pak for Data (CP4D), or a standard Db2 instance.
The utility is intended to help customers move their existing Db2 databases on Linux X64 into a containerized environment with the minimum amount of effort. Some benefits of Db2 Shift are:
- Automated, fast, and secure movement of Linux databases to Hybrid Cloud
- Massively reduces time to containerize database workloads
- Enables alignment with Agile Delivery and Project Lifecycle with Cloning capabilities once in cloud
Features of Db2 Shift include:
- The ability to move a database without the need to unload, export, de-crypt, or backup the database
- Automatic upgrades from Db2 Version 10.5 to the latest version (11.5.7) of Db2
- Shifting of all database settings and objects, including external functions located in the Db2 library path
- Row, Columnar, and Encrypted databases can be moved
- OLTP, SMP, and MPP databases can be moved (excluding pureScale installations at this time)
- Easy setup of HADR servers for staged migration
The Db2 Shift program allows a customer to shift their current databases to one of four platforms:
- OpenShift cluster
- Kubernetes cluster
- Cloud Pak for Data
- Another Db2 instance on premise, on Cloud, or in a Virtual Environment
In addition to directly shifting the database from one location to another, the Db2 Shift program also provides the ability to clone a database for future deployment. This feature is useful for environments where the target server is air-gapped, or unavailable for direct connection from the source server.
Finally, the Db2 Shift program has two modes of operation. For expert users, the Db2 Shift command can be issued with the appropriate options and run directly from a command line or a script. For those users who require more help, the program can also be run in an interactive mode, with detailed instructions and help for the various shift scenarios.
In summary, Db2 Shift provides the ability to quickly, and easily, shift your Db2 Linux database into a containerized environment with a minimal amount of effort.
If you would prefer to view more details of Db2 Click to Containerize before downloading the code, click on the following links.
IBM's statements regarding its plans, directions and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice at IBM's sole discretion. Information regarding potential future products is intended to outline our general product direction and it should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision. The information mentioned regarding potential future products is not a commitment, promise, or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality. Information about potential future products may not be incorporated into any contract. The development, release, and timing of any future features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion.